+ What is SATO48?
SATO48 stands for “Springfield And The Ozarks 48-Hour Film Challenge”.
Filmmaking teams have just one weekend (48 hours) to make a 5-minute (or less) Film. The twist is no one knows what the Films must be about until the INSPIRATION PACKAGE is revealed, simultaneously to all Filmmaking Teams, at the Kickoff !
After the Inspiration Package is revealed, all shooting, editing, and sweetening (such as adding a musical soundtrack) must occur within the 48 hours.
+ What if I'm participating from "out of town"?
That's fantastic ! SATO48 encourages participation from ANYWHERE.
SATO48 defines "out of town" by taking your City, State, ZIP information and gauging the distance (using Google Maps) from the Turn-In location (in 2017, 720 S. Park Avenue, Springfield, MO). If that distance is more than 50 miles, the procedures described below apply to you.
We LIVE STREAM the Kickoff
Have at least ONE team member online for that streaming. (If you have a team member in Springfield, MO, they can attend the Kickoff in person and fulfill that requirement).
For 2017 we're using:
- After logging in notify the moderator of your TEAM # and TEAM NAME so we can record you as "present".
Based on the nature of the Inspiration Package, we will make sure you get access to it in the same way, at the same time, as everyone.
Once the Inspiration Package is announced, and the official DELIVERY DEADLINE is established, you are free to start filming your movie...
On Sunday, when it's time to submit your Film please follow these directions: You MUST;
- Scan (or photograph)
1. SCAN (OR PHOTOGRAPH)
Please scan in ALL documents -- or take a clear photograph of them -- that will be emailed (see below).
Put into a mailable envelope the following items (the address to use follows):
(i) a thumbdrive with your Film on it,
(ii) all your signed Releases,
(iii) a signed CERTIFICATION & CONSENT form which is available to download from the documents list to the right of this FAQ, and
(iv) a time-stamped receipt, described in detail below.
Note: The time-stamped receipt is proof you submitted your Film on time. So, be sure and locate IN ADVANCE a facility in your area that's (a) open on Sunday, and (b) can supply you with such a time-stamped receipt.
Because we will have your Film & Paperwork electronically, you may use the least expensive, slowest method of mailing if you wish:
Jeff Clinkenbeard & Kyaw Tha Hla
2470 S. Wallis Smith Blvd.
Springfield, MISSOURI 65804
AFTER (immediately after) you have secured your submission in the mail with the Time-stamped receipt, email ALL documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
UPLOAD your Film using a service such as Google Drive or WeTransfer and send the link to: email@example.com
DO NOT use a service that will "process" your Film for uploading (in other words, DO NOT use Vimeo, or YouTube, for example -- doing so would also violate the rule regarding when you can post your Film to the Internet).
We will reply to you by email once every element has been verified so you can be assured your submission was accepted.
IF there are any issues with your Film or Paperwork, and there is sufficient time remaining until the DELIVERY DEADLINE, you may be able to correct those mistakes and re-submit (electronically).
This is a courtesy we extend to those "in-town," and so you should have the same opportunity. BUT ONLY IF TIME REMAINS UNTIL THE DELIVERY DEADLINE IS REACHED.
We're excited to see your Films from ANYWHERE & EVERYWHERE !
+ What criteria do the Selection Committee Members use when they evaluate SATO48 Films at The Moxie Screenings ?
This year we're using a fixed set of guidelines for the Selection Committee Members, as follows:
Production Design (previously called "Art Direction")
- Color palette
- Visual style
- Set décor
- Costume, Hair, Make-Up
- Technical originality (filters, etc.)
- Establishes mood
- Defines space
- Artistic qualities
- Variety / Complexity
- Overall impact
- Camera placement & movement
- Blocking (action)
- Composition on screen
- Imaginative quality
- Scene transitions
- Scene length
- Mood changes
- Emotional effectiveness
- Relationship with objects, space, & world beyond frame
- Body language
- Emotional effectiveness
- Relationship with objects, space, & world beyond frame
- Body language
- Dramatic peaks and valleys (structure)
- Relationships among characters
- Individual character development
- Dialogue reveals character, plot & tone
Song or Music
- Emotionally engaging
- Style appropriate to the Film
- Complexity / Variety
- Music as storyteller
- Creation of Soundscapes
- Sound as storyteller (suspense, comedy, intrigue)
- Special audio effects
- Quality of dialogue
Also this year, every Selection Committee Member will be weighing in on Best Use of the Inspiration Package/Best Film.
+ With so many people CosPlaying in the area, is it against the rules to have someone dressed/acting as a comic book character in your film ? IE: SuperMan, Wonder Woman, etc..
Yes, it's against the rules because you don't have the rights to those copyrighted images, irrespective of how many people are doing it...YOU'RE making a legitimate Film !
One solution: create your OWN CosPlay character and imbue them with the qualities of those comic book characters that feed your storyline, theme, etc.
+ Aren't Films that don't keep the "Closing Text" on screen for the full 5 seconds (as required by the Participation Agreement rules) also committing a "length" violation?
Yes. Effectively those Films are gaining extra time.
How many Films fall into that category?
Two Films do not have the "Closing Text" at all so they are gaining 5 full seconds. Six Films do not keep the "Closing Text" on screen for the full 5 seconds so they are gaining various amounts of time, too.
Wow. So, a total of eight additional Films would have to be disqualified. Right.
Are there other Participation Agreement rules being violated ?
Yes. As we said in the FAQ "How are SATO48 Films evaluated ?" our Volunteers check for a lot of criteria and we have stated they must be forgiven for letting Films through that were too long by a few seconds, but if SATO48 was to eliminate every Film that violated other Participation Agreement rules like using the Wrong Naming Convention, or Wrong File Format, or a myriad of other "Closing Text" violations, there WOULD NOT BE A SATO48-2016 because 56 (FIFTY-SIX) Films would have to be cut.
Wow. That would be bad.
Yes, and not only that, going back to the original concept of "time," those Filmmakers who didn't take the time to use the right format, or take the time to name their file correctly, or take the time to use the proper words in the "Closing Text," are also committing a "length" violation inasmuch as they had "extra" time to create their Film because they didn't take the time to fulfill all Participation Agreement requirements.
Will you be naming ALL the Films that might be disqualified ? There are not going to be any disqualifications unless we disqualify ALL violators as described above.
Would you do that? Don't be ridiculous.
However, this is a GREAT lesson all around for SATO48-2017 !
+ Why do some movies show they are over 5:00 when I view them online?
AFTER every Film has screened at The Moxie, (not just after "your" Film has screened) Filmmakers may upload any version of their Film.
BUT YOU MUST WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE LAST MOXIE SCREENING !
If we discover your Film has been uploaded IN ANY WAY (including "Private") you will be disqualified from winning any Awards or Prizes.
SATO48 no longer relies on Filmmaker-uploaded versions of Films. ONLY the Films as presented on the Delivery Date are used for International Judging and the Talent Directory, etc.
+ How are SATO48 Films evaluated?
1. SATO48 Films must be "on time" (including their Releases) to be eligible for Awards.
2. Then, when the Films are turned in, our Volunteers, who donate hours and hours of their time at all phases of SATO48, check for things like:
• Releases being in order • Proper Length of Film • Proper Format • Proper File Naming
3. Our Volunteers are clear and versed on the rules but if there's a slip-up we must forgive them. It's a vagary all Films are subject to.
Which means it falls under the SATO48 philosophy:
If it's equally unfair, then it's fair.
4a. But in fact it is more than that, much more.
All Filmmakers who participate in SATO48 agree upon registration to the terms of the Participation Agreement, and those terms grant limitless immunity to SATO48 Volunteers for any transgressions they might make.
4b. To wit:
"INDEMNITY Participant hereby affirms that he/she indemnifies, saves and holds harmless Organizer, Organizer's staff and volunteers, from any and all claims, costs, damages, expenses and liabilities arising from the creation, use or participation hereunder of the Film (including, but not limited to claims for negligence and other torts, unauthorized exhibition, discrimination, fraud, infringement and breach of contract).
Participant also hereby releases the Organizers, all members of its staff, and all volunteers engaged in SATO48 activities of any kind, from any and all liability, and further agrees to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend any and all such members, staff, or volunteers from and against any and all claims which might be made against them arising out of Participant's involvement in SATO48."
5a. One example of a Volunteer misstep is possibly not noticing a Film exceeds the 5-minute limit.
Another is forgiving Films submitted in an improper naming convention.
They just don't have the heart to disqualify a Filmmaker because of something so trivial.
the stated naming convention as laid out in the Participation Agreement is a simple rule (which couldn't have been clearer), as follows:
Team# - Team Name - Film Name
5d. Though to be sure submitting a file named in any other way is a rule violation and in 2017 we're going to crack down hard !!
6a. Another "fudge" is for Films delivered in an unapproved dot extension format, even if they play properly and have sound.
6b. The stated format is:
MPEG-4 FORMAT ONLY (.mp4)
[Not .mov, not .m4v, not .3gp]
6c. Again, it's a rule violation and in 2017 we're going to crack down hard !!
7a. Now, let's take a look at the political / social status conscious side of SATO48…
7b. One of the reasons we invite the Volunteers we do is they are blissfully oblivious to any trendy concepts of teams being highly influential in the filmmaking community vs. those who are "unknown".
And if they do perceive such strata they have the integrity to quash it.
7c. SATO48 Volunteers are respected business women & men, healthcare professionals, city employees, homemakers, and earnest supporters of creativity.
7d. To imply they exhibit favoritism (which for those of you "not in the know" has recently happened) in the form of deliberately letting Films through that violate the letter of the rules is a slap in their face and a morale issue clouding their standing in the greater community.
8. SATO48 Volunteers are the very embodiment of an event that is both a Competition and a Community Event -- a complex creature to be sure, and possibly not one suited to every competitor.
10. If we were to go "backwards" (which will not happen) and disqualify all those Films that, for instance, violated the naming convention rule, we wouldn't have a SATO48-2016.
11a. Let us explain.
We took a random sample -- random in the sense it was the 34 thumb drives (1/3 of the entries, by the way) not picked up by Filmmakers at The Moxie Screenings.
And what did we find ?
11b. We found only ONE, ONLY ONE, named their Film submission absolutely properly.
12. To give you a sense of the simple, clear rules that were nevertheless flagrantly broken by Filmmakers who no doubt busted their ass to meet the requirements, but still fell short, consider this ghastly array of violations:
• Films without a leading "zero" on the Team Number • No "space" in front of and no "space" behind each dash • No Team Name at all • No Team # at all • Extraneous words…
13. And the transgressions don't end there !
With regard to format (MPEG-4 FORMAT ONLY (.mp4):
• Three Films were submitted in .3gp format • Four Films were submitted in .m4v format • Four Film were submitted in .mov format
For a total of 11 Films (greater than 1/10th of the entries) submitted not in the proper format.
14. So, if digital pitchforks & torches are to be raised in an effort to disqualify another's Film due to a violation of the Participation Agreement (which for those of you "not in the know" has recently happened), we counsel each townsperson to first look at their own submission and make absolutely sure that in every conceivable respect it qualifies for Awards.
(Spoiler Alert: statistically speaking you probably didn't name your Film File correctly. BOOM you too are out of the running).
15. One of the issues that sometimes comes up (though less and less) is how much "black" to use at the beginning and ending of the Film. We try to be more and more clear with Filmmakers about this every year and eventually we think we'll master it.
16. Once Films clear the Volunteers all are watched, determined as to whether or not they have met the spirit of the Inspiration Package, and curated into Groups of 10 which then play at The Moxie.
17. Sitting in the audience at The Moxie are Selection Committee Members (SCM) who have generously donated their time to watch the Films. Each SCM is assigned a particular Award category in which they have an interest or maybe an expertise--though we stress the SCM are there first & foremost as members of the movie-going public, who also have a desire to support the community and are willing to donate hours and hours of their time to collectively consider every Film, irrespective of its quality.
18a. If an SCM has a close relationship with someone in a Film for their category SATO48 has a method where they can recuse themselves and an arbitration panel will make a determination. Please note it is not enough that the person the SCM knows merely worked on the Film--they must be the nominee in the SCM's category to trigger recusal.
18b. For example, in 2015 ADsmith employees were both Filmmakers and SCM, so the ADsmith SCM recused themselves from those Films where they knew the person in the category they were assigned.
19. After the SCM make their TOP 10 Selections they are sent to International Judges around the world who have expertise in a particular category, and are willing to donate their valuable time. Those International Judges watch all 10 Films, selecting a Top 5, and of those Top 5, a Runner Up and Winner.
20. Since this is a Community Competition Event, consider all SATO48 Filmmakers present, past and future to have a close relationship with the Co-Creators, or that they will eventually have one. That's why the Co-Creators of SATO48 do not select nor judge any Films for final consideration.
21. All decisions of all SCM and International Judges are final and unassailable.
22. If you have additional questions, please call or email us -- but use your real email if you want a response. SATO48 does not respond to anonymous missives of any kind.
+ What's the difference between an AWARD and a PRIZE?
1. As you know, it is essential you fulfill the Inspiration Package to be eligible for The Moxie Screenings, and winning any of the 12 Awards, or Prizes.
2. This year individuals and companies have once again generously sponsored "Prizes" (5 in total) to help recognize your talent.
Guidelines for Prizes are entirely separate from the Inspiration Package, and indeed you cannot win a Prize unless you fulfill the Inspiration Package, and all the other Participation Agreement requirements.
3. Having said that, here are the 5 Prizes (to date) for which your Film might also be eligible based SOLELY on the decision of the Prize Provider:
• The Ozarks CW Prize "Best Hero Themed Film," based on creative use of heroic actions, visual effects, theme, or plot. Prize includes CW CWag pack, a tour of the Ozarks CW/KY3 studios, the Film being featured on theozarkscw.com, and the chance for Filmmakers to be featured in an Ozarks CW on-air promotion highlighting the prize-winning Film. Only Films that meet The Ozarks CW television programming standards regarding nudity, language, etc., will be considered.
• American Family Insurance Presented by Deryk Morelock "Family Fun Prize" for the most Fun, Family Friendly submission. Winner will enjoy a $150.00 prize from Deryk Morelock w/ American Family Insurance.
• Becky Meadows & Debbie Hall "Best Portrayal of a Pet or Animal" Prize. $100.
• Studio 2060 "Production Prize" given to a Film that excels in production value. The Prize is a $100 credit toward use of the facilities at Studio 2060.
• Fantasy Creations FX "Special Effects Prize" which comes with a $100 credit toward work done by FCFX.
4. Plus we are thrilled to announce a significant upgrade to an existing Award Category:
• FOX5 KRBK "Audience Favorite Award" which will extend the voting Online, and provide a very special level of recognition to the Winner.
So, start arranging for your thousands of friends & family to attend The Moxie Screenings, and the Awards Ceremony, because it's the balloting at those two live gatherings that will determine which Films go Online for the final phase. More details to follow.
5. Again, these Prizes in no way affect your obligation to fulfill the Inspiration Package and the Participation Agreement. They are an adjunct opportunity if you wish to pursue them in your Film with absolutely no guarantee your Film will be selected by a Prize Provider whose decision is final and unassailable.
+ What are the SATO48 Films about?
That’s up to the Filmmaker, as long as they comply with the Inspiration Package, we will screen the Film at The Moxie in Springfield, Missouri.
We are dogged embracers of the First Amendment, and DO NOT rate these Films.
However, keep in mind there are always consequences for the creative choices made, meaning for example, your Film might not be suitable for other venues beyond the SATO48 Challenge.
+ How do I get the most up-to-date rules & guidelines?
Visit www.SATO48.com and read the Participation Agreement under the Filmmakers' Resources tab.
+ Can anyone participate in SATO48?
Yes, SATO48 is open to everyone, even professionals.
However, professionals cannot be paid for their services. They must volunteer their time. In fact, no one on a SATO48 Team can be paid.
SATO48 Filmmaking Teams have consisted of pros and novices alike. Some teams have been a mix of film and video professionals, while others have been beginners or students.
+ How many members are allowed per SATO48 Team?
As many as you want.
+ What does a SATO48 Team consist of?
A SATO48 Team consists of a crew who works behind the camera, and a cast (there must be at least two actors in your Film) who work in front of the camera.
Rules stipulate that all team members (crew and cast) must volunteer their time, and sign RELEASES.
+ How long are the films?
They must be no longer than 5 minutes – but they can be shorter.
If you are just starting out, or have limited time during the Filmmaking Weekend, we suggest you consider a shorter-than-five-minutes Film. It will still be eligible for Awards (if it’s turned in on time).
+ Does it cost anything to enter?
There is a modest registration fee, which in 2017 was $25, but increases as the Kickoff date approaches.
However, keep two things in mind: (1) this FAQ might not have been updated to reflect a new fee (which will be clearly shown when you register your SATO48 Team); and (2) the price goes up as we get closer to the Kickoff Date (which starts the Filmmaking Weekend), so register now !
+ Are there prizes for the winning Films?
Yes, cash prizes, which can vary from year to year, but have generally been $100 per prize. And a nice statuette. Plus all the contact & recommendation opportunities that arise from participating in SATO48 !
+ How do I pay my entry fee?
When you register your team, you’ll be directed to PayPal. If you aren’t able to pay online for some reason, we do accept cash. The registration fee is non-refundable.
+ Does all of my team have to go to the Kickoff?
No. However, at least one team member from each team must be at the Kickoff.
+ What format should I use to deliver my Film?
As of 2017, we are requiring your Film be delivered on a thumbdrive, be less than 4GB in size, and in .mp4 format. However, these requirements can change as technology advances. Always refer to your PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT for the latest guidelines.
+ What about Music?
You must have all the rights to all the music used in your Film – this includes Music you create yourself. Use the MUSIC RELEASE form, which will be supplied to you once you create a user account, register your team, and pay the entry fee.
NOTE: If you use Music from an “arts libre” or similar source, you cannot nominate that Music for the Music Award.
+ Why do we need the 4 Release Forms: Cast, Crew, Location, Music?
For a number of reasons.
One, we want to prevent someone from asking us to pull your Film from any screenings. If someone tells us that he/she is in your Film and they didn’t give you permission, we will have no choice but to disqualify your film.
Two, to prove you have rights to the Music heard during your Film.
Three, so we know the people who worked on your Film understood the guidelines & requirements.
So, get releases. In fact, you must turn in your 4 RELEASES at the same time you turn in your Film, otherwise your Film is considered “late” – and you don’t want that…
+ How many actors must be in the Film?
A minimum of two. If you want to eligible for BOTH Acting Awards, you must have at least one male and one female performance to nominate.
+ May SAG members participate?
See the SAG website for all their requirements.
+ Can we use our company logo in the Film?
Yes, you may use a pre-made logo as long as it is in the opening titles or closing credits. But remember, opening titles and closing credits are part of your 5-minute limit.
+ Can I post my Film online?
There’s a two-step process you MUST adhere to:
- NO. YOU CAN NOT POST YOUR FILM ONLINE !
Not in any manner – not via private link, nothing, nada. Do not put your Film online anywhere, in any way.
- You must wait until AFTER the last Film (not simply your Film) has screened at The Moxie…
THEN, you can post your Film online.
+ Is there an Awards Ceremony?
You bet! It’s at the Gillioz Theater in downtown Springfield. It’s a great time, and we encourage you to attend EVEN IF you don’t make a Film. There’s entertainment, and an AfterParty. DRESS FESTIVE !
+ Will I know if I’ve won any Awards before the Awards Ceremony?
No. All prizes are secret until announced from stage at the Awards Ceremony.
+ Can a SATO48 Film be submitted to other festivals?
Yes. But NOT before the SATO48 event is over for the year you entered.
Filmmakers are encouraged to submit their films to festivals. Please notify us if your film is accepted to a festival !
+ Any great Tips & Tricks I should know about?
Definitely. Watch this video and you’ll be way ahead of the game !
+ What can I do as preparation before the challenge?
You can recruit crew and cast, scout locations, and secure a sound or music person.
+ Where will my Film screen?
We show all Films (which meet the Inspiration Package criteria) at The Moxie Cinema in Springfield, Missouri.
We encourage you to invite friends and family to the screenings, and as of 2014, tickets are only $6.
+ Are there other screening opportunities associated with SATO48?
Yes. One great SATO48 partner is the Founders Park Screening Series.
Here’s what the Public Information Administrator from the Springfield-Greene County Park Board has to say about SATO48 Films selected for additional screening opportunities:
The Park Board selects up to 12 films…to screen during Summer Movies at Founders Park.
SATO films screen before the feature film on Saturday nights, which are billed as “Date Night” but still have a lot of kids in the audience, which typically numbers 300.
For this reason, SATO selections must be family friendly — films including graphic violence, sex, alcohol and drug use, profanity and adult themes will not be selected.
It’s also important to have good clean audio.
If we can’t understand what you’re saying, it won’t be selected. Filmmakers, please keep this in mind if a screening at Founders Park is important to you.
+ Where can I shoot my Film?
Anywhere you can get permission from the owner. Public space is available to use, but you should check with city authorities for all the details.
To wit: Parks Photo Policy http://www.parkboard.org/DocumentCenter/View/613
And the general parks rules are here: https://www.municode.com/library/mo/springfield/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICO_CH82PARE_ARTIINGE
With regard to Cemetaries, read this:
It appears (but we are not espousing) HAZELWOOD CEMETERY is more public and therefore falls under "public space".
+ What should I do if I have more questions?
Contact us ! We live in New York City, and come back to Springfield specifically for SATO48, so email us: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 917-648-5677 (cell).
+ What do I do if I want to help sponsor SATO48?
Contact us ! We live in New York City, and are always looking for new partnerships to help SATO48 and the Springfield community grow. Email us: email@example.com or call 917-648-5677 (cell).